Words Ireland is currently working with arts venues and arts services to increase literature programming and put on more quality and ambitious events across Ireland.
Participating venues include:
- The Backstage, Longford
- The Linenhall, Mayo
- The Dock, Leitrim
- Droichead Arts Centre, Louth
- Riverbank Arts Centre, Kildare
- Fingal Arts Service
After a successful pilot scheme in 2017–2018, our Literature Audience Development Officer, Dani Gill, is advising these venues on literature programming, and developing new audiences for literature. This is done through outreach to libraries, bookshops, schools, writing groups, book clubs in regions surrounding each venue.
From initial feedback, it’s clear that Arts Offices, venue managers, literature and arts festival directors are keen to engage with writers and producers who can provide feasible, audience-focused literature events and initiatives.
Therefore, our aim is to:
- Bring more literature events and programming to regional arts centres and theatres,
- Increase venue managers’ and directors’ interest in and understanding of literature event productions and initiatives,
- See more literature producers/writers apply for Arts Council Touring grants,
- Share our learning and knowledge with the wider literature community through professional development documents and events, and to support the ambitions of anyone with quality ideas for producing or touring word-based events.
In achieving these aims, we hope to create relevant, paying career opportunities for creative writers and develop new audiences for their work