Backstage Theatre, Longford | Upcoming Events
Our other Literature Curator – Dani Gill– is working at the Backstage in her home county of Longford. She’s lined up a compelling series of author discussions with a few little surprises in store for attendees at each event.
On Thursday 22 March, the first in a three-part series, Voices, sees Alan McMonagle and Patrick McCabe in conversation with journalist and researcher Paula Shields to discuss their work and the influence of the midlands. Tickets €10/€12, booking anseo!
The second event on 18 May features Lisa McInerney and Elaine Feeney in conversation with Sinéad Gleeson. And keep an eye out for the final event on 28 June with Ruth Fitzmaurice and Leanne O’Sullivan.
The Linenhall, Castlebar | Upcoming Events
Keep Thursday 14 June Free too for final event in the Seasons event series at the Linenhall, Castlebar, featuring Mike McCormack, Sara Baume and musical guests Spook of the Thirteenth Lock as well as some wonderful words from writers.
The above events form part of the Words Ireland’s pilot project – the Venues Initiative. We are working with two highly experienced producers under this pilot programme to develop quality, ambitious literature events for the stage. We’re also keen to:
- Create meaning and relevant career opportunities for writers,
- See more producers and writers apply for Arts Council Touring grants,
- Bring more literature events to regional arts centres and theatre stages,
- Increase venue managers’ and directors’ understanding of literature event production and help them to develop literature audiences,
- Share our learning and knowledge with the wider literature community, through a number of documents and events, to support the ambitions of anyone with quality and ambitious ideas for producing or touring word-based events.
We hope to develop and expand this initiative in 2018 and beyond.